Widely regarded as the definitive text on taking and defending depositions, the Deposition Handbook provides practical advice on every stage of deposition. In this revised Fifth Edition, Dennis Suplee and Nicole Reimann provide specific techniques for eliciting information, guidelines for video depositions, case studies, checklists, numerous examples, rules of conduct, and sample questions. This user-friendly and comprehensive guide offers expert analysis on the strategies and tactics you need to successfully handle your depositions.
You’ll get specific examples and scenarios covering:
- Whether counsel may interview an adverse party’s current or former employees
- Private conferences between the deponent and counsel during the course of the deposition
- The pros and cons of “the usual stipulations”
- Questioning techniques
- How to effectively prepare your clients and witnesses to effectively testify
- What factors to consider when deciding whether to prepare the witness to do more than just answer the question
Written from a litigator’s perspective, this text delivers insights into how you can obtain case winning answers from your deponents.
This book should be required reading for every young lawyer, and is a great resource for even the most experienced of litigators. If you are looking for a comprehensive desk reference for your office, this book is a treasure of information.