*Please note: In parts of this program audience questions may be inaudible and for a small portion there are discrepancies with the audio. We feel that despite this, the majority of the program provides audio quality that does not take away from the value of the product.
Trial Guides is proud to present this video of two of the greatest trial lawyers in American history: Gerry Spence and Paul Luvera.
Gerry Spence is a living legend in the legal field, and one of the most important lawyers in US history. He had more multi-million dollar verdicts without an intervening loss than any other lawyer in the United States. He is also the author of several best selling books for the public on the topic of law. This is one of Gerry Spence's only publicly available videos.
Paul Luvera is also one of the leading trial lawyers in the United States. During his career, Luvera obtained record jury verdicts of $41 million in Washington, $44 million in Oregon, and a $29 million in Idaho. He was selected to act as lead trial counsel for the State of Washington in a two-and-a-half-month jury trial against the tobacco industry which ended in a record settlement of $700 million. This is one of Paul Luvera's only publicly available videos.
In this unique video of both lawyers, Spence and Luvera teach you the secrets that have propelled their legendary courtroom victories.
These trial legends discuss:
- The power of being authentic
- Using proven methods, including methods in Polarizing the Case, David Ball on Damages 3 and Rules of the Road™
- Their secrets for voir dire
- Creative ways to try soft-tissue cases
- Different methods of arguing damages depending upon the case facts and the size of the expected verdict
- Three things you must discuss with the jury about damages
- Why you should never evaluate your case based on other lawyers’ settlements and verdicts
- Trying cases with difficult judges
- The greatest gifts and worst mistakes of their careers
- And much more
The information on this video is timeless, and built upon decades of dedication to being truly great trial lawyers.
If you choose the Audiobook option, you can access it through theTrial Guides App for Lawyers button on your account page.
- Introduction of Gerry Spence
- Introduction of Paul Luvera
- Elevating the Importance of Your Case
- Getting the Jury to Set Community Standards
- Outline of the Lecture
- Overcoming the Fear of Losing
- Lecture Outline
- Dealing with Juror Bias on Client Ethnicity/Dress/Language
- Empowering Jurors to Provide Large Verdicts
- The Secret of Voir Dire
- Becoming Successful by Becoming a Real Person
- Keeping Up with Changes Necessary Due to Tort Reform
- The Books You Should Read
- The Measure of a Great Verdict
- The Soft-Tissue Case
- The Judge’s Plight
- Defer to the Judge
- My Worst Mistake
- Rejection as the Greatest Gift
- Methods of Arguing Damages
- The Importance of Understanding the Impact of Your Client’s Injuries
- Things You Should Never Do while Determining Damages
- Three Things You Must Explain to Jurors about Damages
- Short Damages Closings in Large Damages Cases
- Credibility is Power
- Arguing Damages
- Spence’s “Bird” Closing
- Evidence of Insurance/Ability to Pay
- Getting “Hometowned”
- Voir Dire Regarding Being from Out of Town
- Problematic Judges
- How I Prepare for Trial
- Balancing Your Practice and Family
- What Will Others Say about You?
- How to Handle a Difficult Client in a Civil Case
- Race to Disclose Your Bad Facts First
- Real Lawyers Handle Criminal Cases
- Betrayal of Trust
Total running time: 2 hours, 7 minutes