Keep the jurors you want–and eliminate the ones you don't.
You're standing center stage in the courtroom, minutes away from asking sixty complete strangers – many with a fear of public speaking – to share their deepest-held beliefs and prejudices with you and everyone present. Jury selection can be intimidating, but with Lisa Blue and Robert Hirschhorn in your corner, you'll be armed to handle everything from reticent panel members to the most hostile jurors.
Conducting Voir Dire reveals the principles of successful jury selection and takes you step-by-step through the process. In this compact and accessible handbook, Blue and Hirschhorn show you how to:
- Work with a judge who conducts part, or all, of voir dire
- Convince potential jurors to acknowledge their biases and answer sensitive questions
- Establish credibility with panel members and gain their respect
- Manage your time wisely
- Remember your key points and keep track of the information you collect
- Argue challenges for cause and effectively use peremptory strikes
Lisa Blue and Robert Hirschhorn have distilled decades of successful experience into this easy-to-use guide to navigating the murky waters of voir dire. Before you step into the courtroom to pick your next jury, turn to Conducting Voir Dire for clear and dependable advice.
- Publisher's Note
- The Judge's Voir Dire
- Selecting the Right Tool for the Job
- Plaintiff's Voir Dire: A Road Map
- Plaintiff's Voir Dire: A Tool Kit
- The Defense Voir Dire
- Inoculating Favorable Jurors
- Identifying Unfavorable Panel Members
- Challenges for Cause
- Exercising Peremptory Strikes
- About the Authors
- CD Content
What Legal Leaders Are Saying
— David Ball, trial consultant and author of David Ball on Damages and Theater Tips and Strategies for Jury Trials
Conducting Voir Dire is a first-rate primer that helps with the basics, from how to write your notes (though I hope you won’t write them yourself) during voir dire, to the most advanced steps of deciding peremptory and cause challenges. The book draws on a long, rich tradition dating back to the legendary Cathy Bennett, who was one of the great originators and guides of trial consulting. Conducting Voir Dire is truly from the wellspring. It has been energized and modernized by Lisa Blue and Bob Hirschhorn, among the greatest teachers of how to make voir dire a process–instead of a gamble.