Insurers named in the lawsuit include State Farm, Berkshire Hathaway / GEICO, Progressive Insurance, Auto Club Enterprises Insurance, Auto-Owners Insurance, CSAA Insurance, Erie Insurance, Farmers Insurance Group, Kemper, Liberty Mutual, National General Insurance, Nationwide Insurance, Travelers Insurance, and USAA.
The Medical Malpractice Myth, by Tom Baker, Director of the Insurance Law Center at University of Connecticut, disputes common medical malpractice myths (often central to tort reform legislation campaigns) with facts. The book provides research proving the following:
- Medical malpractice is an epidemic and a leading cause of death in the US
- Medical malpractice suits are rare, and are very rarely frivolous
- Malpractice insurance premiums aren't unreasonably high
- Rising insurance costs are not closely related to litigation
- Doctors are not leaving their practices as a result of negligence claims