Nicholas Rowley is one of the leading trial lawyers of his generation. In this interview, he sits down to discuss the art of storytelling in trial. Nick illustrates why telling a great story is imperative in seeking full justice for your clients, how we can all become great storytellers if we are willing to do the work, and walks you through different strategies and moments to use storytelling effectively in your next trial.
In this lecture, Nick discusses:
- What makes a great storyteller
- Why good storytellers must care deeply about their listeners
- Why you should slow down and start small
- How to be present in the moment
- How to tell your story throughout trial without giving into distractions
- How to see trial as a big story with different chapters
- How to use witnesses and evidence to tell the story
- Using psychodrama to get to the heart of your client’s story
- Why storytellers need to be themselves and find their own voice
- How to use silence effectively
- How to identify and develop the characters in your story
- How to show instead of tell
- How to bring the storyteller out in each of us
- How to use visuals to tell your story
Nick then takes listener questions that cover topics such as:
- How to get from good to great as quickly as possible
- How to edit your story down to what you really need
- How to choose which cases to take and what to base your decision on
- How to deal with bad jurors
- What advice Nick would give to a younger version of himself
- How to find your voice and not imitate others
- The best way for the new generation of trial lawyers to fight against tort reform and corporate influence, both inside and outside the courtroom
- How to deal with a judge who thinks they are part of the prosecution team
- The importance of psychodrama workshops to becoming a better storyteller
- Advice for female trial lawyers (with special guest answer from Courtney Rowley)
Nick’s insights and advice will give you the necessary tools to unlock your voice and become a better storyteller in trial.
This product is only offered as an Audio Digital Download, you will receive a zipped file containing an mp3 and m4b file.
If you are unfamiliar with these file types and what to do with them once downloaded, please see our documentation before purchasing:
-- Install your audio digital download on an Apple device (iPad, iPod, or iPhone):
-- Install your audio digital download on an Android device (phone, tablet, or music player):
-- Install your audio digital download on a PC
*We will also send you documentation on digital downloads in an email after you purchase.
*Please note that there are times when the speaker's voice cuts out due to a bad internet connection, however, we do not feel that these few moments take away from the instruction given.
*This interview was originally offered to customers as part of our Trial Guides LIVE Fireside Chat series. The content has been remastered and edited for brevity and clarity.