The Art of Cross-Examination by Francis Wellman has been one of the definitive titles on the subject of cross-examination for over a century. Wellman’s enduring work has inspired generations of trial lawyers, dedicated men and women who work tirelessly in the pursuit of justice.
Now with a new foreword and commentary, this reprint of the second edition of Wellman’s great work seamlessly blends ageless advice with contemporary insight from one of America’s leading experts on the practice of cross-examination. Roger Dodd, coauthor of Cross-Examination: Science and Techniques, guides the reader through each chapter, pointing out what still works—and why—and where the reader should be aware of how things have changed over the passage of time.
Dodd points out the concrete lessons contained in Wellman’s many case examples. He shows the reader how The Art of Cross-Examination contains detailed illustrations of sequencing, impeachment, gaining and losing credibility, how to avoid going too far, and learning when it’s best to say nothing at all. Wellman’s timeless lessons and Dodd’s expert commentary make this a must-read for any attorney who questions witnesses.
This is well beyond a mere collection of war stories from the past. This is a lesson in the history of cross-examination and a guide to its future.
- Part I: The Principles of Cross-Examination
- The Manner of Cross-Examination
- The Matter of Cross-Examination
- Cross-Examination of the Perjured Witness
- Cross-Examination of Experts
- The Sequence of Cross-Examination
- Silent Cross-Examination
- Cross-Examination to the “Fallacies of Testimony”
- Cross-Examination to Probabilities—Personality of the Examiner, Etc.
- Cross-Examination to Credit, and Its Abuses
- Some Famous Cross-Examiners and Their Methods
- Part II: Some Famous Examples of Cross-Examination
- The Cross-Examination of Miss Martinez by Hon. Joseph H. Choate in the Celebrated Breach of Promise Case, Martinez v. Del Valle
- The Cross-Examination of Richard Pigott by Sir Charles Russell Before the Parnell Commission
- The Cross-Examination of Dr. ——— in the Carlyle W. Harris Case.
- The Bellevue Hospital Case
- The Cross-Examination of Guiteau, the Assassin of President Garfield, by Mr. John K. Porter
- The Cross-Examination of Russell Sage in Laidlaw v. Sage (Second Trial) by Hon. Joseph H. Choate
- Golden Rules for the Examination of Witnesses